PART IV

In February 1698 the guildry was given permission to have seats in the Parish Church (then the Cross Kirk) the 'south syd of the town loft' being enclosed for that purpose. This custom continued and the present Parish Church still has seating provision in the north loft for the Guildry Corporation.

The corporation, composed of six members was later increased to fourteen and by 1834 eighteen. At the turn of the present century the membership was again increased to twenty-five and it is now confined to a membership of fifty. With the demise of the Peebles Town Council, the loss of the offices of provost and bailies, the Guildry Council and Corporation of Peebles is now selected from the Guildry members; the office is taken seriously and the Guildry Council meet regularly to discuss the affairs of the burgh and to recommend action where necessary.

The Brethren of the Corporation meet annually for a general meeting and hold a dinner yearly for the 'Guildry Supper'.

THE TWEEDDALE SHOOTING CLUB
Although strictly speaking the Tweeddale Shooting Club is a Peebles- shire club, its roots are firmly in Peebles and its various dinners and meetings are still held in the Tontine Hotel. The club was established in Peebles in 1790 and remains one of the oldest continuing clubs of its kind in the United Kingdom.

In 1790 the French Revolution was a year old. In Peebles Dr Dalgleish was the minister of the Parish Church. The town clerk was William Little; the provost, James Reid. The Cross Kirk had been abandoned and the new Parish Church occupied Castlehill; Tweed Bridge, dating from the fourteenth century, was still as narrow as its humpbacked neighbour over the Peebles Water or 'Cuddy'.

The origin of the Club dates from a shooting party at Cardrona House, 'to enjoy the "sport" on Glendean banks on the Quair'. Here proposal was made to establish a club amongst those owning or taking part regularly in shoots in Peeblesshire and so the club was born. Amongst the founders were Lord Elibank, Sir James Naesmyth of Posso, Walter Williamson of Cardrona, James Wolfe Murray of Cringletie. From its inception the club consisted of not more than thirty members and adopted a uniform to be worn by all members. It was agreed that it must be: 'A coat of green colour with a dark green velvet cape, and a silver button with the letter 'T' engraved on it. In

282

 

Contents