THE PEEBLES BOWLING CLUB
In 1874, the bowling green was moved from Castlehill to the present site at Walkershaugh. The present clubhouse was opened in 1914 and it has recently been extended. Many sets of bowls have been left to the club by past members and amongst them are pairs marked 'John Grieve 1786', 'John Marshall, Surgeon, 1786' and 'Francis Russell, Esq, 1786'. Many more of similar antiquity bear only initials.
The game itself is perhaps even more popular than it was in earlier times, the club being well supported locally, and providing a welcome both to visiting clubs and holiday visitors.
THE PEEBLES CURLING CLUB
In 1830 the same Sir John Hay further presented a massive silver buckle embellished with suitable insignia and a leather belt. The 'Belt of Victory' was contended for annually by the married men versus the bachelors on the town curling pond. The pond was created on St