Local Associations and Social Interests
been successful in a number of band competitions. More importantly, perhaps, the band continues to attract to its ranks a flow of the youth of the town willing and anxious to learn the art of piping or the skills of drumming.
THE BOYS BRIGADE IN PEEBLES
Unable to continue during the last year or so of the Second World War, it was re-formed when its officers returned from the Services. Over the years W. Fairbairn, S. Fergusson, J. Phail, A. Hamilton, D. McKenzie have been associated with the First Company; D. Davidson, D. O'Hare, G. Johnstone, Revd James Hamilton and Mr Geddes were connected with the Second Company attached to the Parish Church. In time these two Companies amalgamated and today (1990) the members of the First Peebles Company proudly rally round their Queen's Colour which was presented in 1950.
THE BOY SCOUTS IN PEEBLES
In September of the same year the Peebles Troop had their first annual inspection in Peebles, thus marking their first full year of existence as a youth organisation. They were to go from strength to strength in the eighty years which followed. The first Boy Scout headquarters of the Peebles Scouts was in a small hall on Tweed Green (now replaced by a dwelling-house to the west of the Tontine Hotel car park). Although taken over by the military in the First World War these headquarters served the Scouts well and were in use until the new headquarters, made necessary by the continued growth of the movement, opened at Kingsmeadows in the 1920s.
During the First WorId War along with the Girl Guides and other local organisations, the Boy Scouts were to lend their services to the war