PART IV
 
Scots leaving the town in 1914 following mobilisation, led by a pipe band. Presumably this was formed from local 'Territorials' belonging to The Royal Scots.

The re-formed band came under the aegis of the Peebles ex­Servicemen's Club which had been formed in 1919 before the advent of the British Legion to which it was later affiliated. The band was based on the club premises in the School Brae. It first paraded as a unit in 1919 and for a time played in civilian clothes. By 1920, however, the band was fully equipped, their dress based on the Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) comprised Royal Stuart kilts and plaids, green doublets, Glengarry bonnets with a cap-badge bearing the 'three fish of Peebles'.

In 1920 the pipe-major was Jock Sterricks and the pipers Jas. Stirling, George Hall, Alex Sterricks and David (Danny) Shiels. The drum corps were Frank Bain, William Todd, Edward Todd and James Stavert. A member of the band who achieved fame furth of Peebles was John Garroway who became the principal of the Glasgow School of Piping.

Between the wars the first drum-major to be appointed was William 'Drummy' Irving and to him fell the honour of carrying the mace which had been presented by Mr Mitchell of Kingsmeadows House. Later drum-majors were W. McGrath, R. McGrath, J. Mitchell, R. Raeburn, A. Smith, J. Nicol and the present incumbent Sandy Brown. Over the same period the pipe-majors were Jock Sterricks, Ross A. Dodds, George Hall, John Connor, J. Wilson, Andrew Hall, Robert Veitch, Graham Aitchison, the present being Bruce Campbell. George Hall was to continue to play in the band during the Second World War and in the post-war period to become the longest serving piper.

During the Second Wodd War many of the younger members served in the Armed Services. For example, they again formed the nucleus of the Pipes and Drums of the 8th Battalion The Royal Scots. The pipe band continued to serve the people of Peebles throughout the Second World War, many of the older players returning to keep the band in existence. Re-formed in 1945 and reinforced by the returning Servicemen they were able by 1946 to parade in Princes Street Gardens with a fully-equipped band comprising sixteen pipers and nine drummers.

In the twenty years since the celebration of the Golden Jubilee of the Pipe Band, it has steadily improved its playing performance and has

290

 

 

Contents