aircraft factories, were quickly in situ and occupied; another example, if we needed any, of war acting as a catalyst for social change and the application of wartime techniques in production being applied to peacetime needs. The tenants of Kingsland Square were well pleased with their new houses. These were later improved in outward appearance by a permanent cladding of brickwork and with the addition of a pitched, slate roof.
Although in 1946 and up to the 1950s the attention of Government was to exports and the earning of 'hard currency', the problems of housing still had to be faced. Thus, the town council were in an exquisite dilemma. Should they deploy their scant resources purely to housing or should they throw weight behind the local woollen industry. In the end, of course, central government decided and both paths were followed with a degree of success.
Another limited scheme was built on the site of the derelict cattle market in Cross Road. With the market now in the more suitable site in South Parks, the centrally placed Cross Road area seemed ideal. By the end of 1946 twenty-four four-apartment houses were completed at a unit cost of £1,500. Although built by local builders and comprising perhaps the best of local authority houses, the cost illustrates only too well the inflationary consequences of a long war. This scheme became Clark and Montgomery Place.
The final houses which were completed in 1946 were the eighteen built due east of the cemetery on part of Kirklands. Again, like the pre-fabs, these were system-built houses of austere but efficient design. Nonetheless, they cost £1,700 and, although they were extremely popular with their tenants, perhaps because of the highamenity area which they occupied, they had inherent structural faults which were later to manifest themselves.1
It was to be the late 1940s when the next likelihood of extensive building of municipal housing presented itself. Provost Arthur Daniels had succeeded William Cleland. The former, with a banking background, lent his experience to a council still beset by many problems. The council was equally fortunate that on the retiral of J. Walter Buchan as town clerk (1948), he was succeeded by his legal partner, Edward Laverock, thus preserving the all-important continuity of the office.
The plans of the Labour Housing Act of 1949 to boost municipal housing had, by that year, brought local authorities throughout Scotland into conflict with town planners, anxious about the