PART III: 1950 - 1990
by rail and 12 per cent by the waterways. In 1975 this had changed to 72 per cent being transported by road services (a growth of 38.5 per cent) whilst the volume carried by rail had fallen to 17 per cent (a drop in volume of 53 per cent) and waterways was 11 per cent (down 8 per cent).14
Changes, too, were occurring in the pattern of passenger services in Scotland. Car passengers in 1960 amounted to 42 per cent compared with 74 per cent in 1975 (a growth of 76 per cent), while the volume of bus passengers during the same period had fallen from 50 per cent to 19 per cent (a drop in volume of 62 per cent). The rail passengers in 1960 had fallen to 7 per cent in 1975 (a decline in rail usage of about 12.5 per cent).15
The post-war decades brought with them more changes, too, and these were generally unhelpful to the economic environment of Peebles as the shire's 'county town'. Although a new post office was opened in the Eastgate in 1963, it was 'downgraded' as it was believed that in the interests of efficiency and economy the clerical and planning work involved for detailing the services in the Peeblesshire area should be carried out at Galashiels. The Ministry of Social Security office at Peebles was also treated the same way and became a 'branch office' controlled from Galashiels.
Nevertheless, the town's professional services continued to develop. Its well-established law practices were also acting as estate agents and in more recent years they extended their professional services to include both financial and insurance matters. Blackwood & Smith, with an additional office at 15 Eastgate; and J. & W. Buchan opened a special branch office at 2 Cuddy Bridge. These financial services complemented the other local resources that had developed in the town during the years since the end of the Second World War, with more building societies having local offices: Peebles Building Society, 2 Eastgate; Northern Rock, 37 High Street; Halifax, 44 Northgate; and Dunfermline, 7 Eastgate. There were also specialist property agents: Cooper Associates, 11 Northgate; John Sale, 2-4 Northgate; and Alan M. Crawford & Co., 5-7 Northgate, providing management services.
The British Linen Bank amalgamated with the Bank of Scotland and although its name no longer features in the town, it will be remembered as the first bank to be established in Peebles and the only bank to have had the enterprise to set up a 'sub-branch office', which, in 1936, was located at 68 Rosetta Road and known as the